Thursday, September 11, 2008

First Entry!

こんにちわ!わたしはさむです。あめりかじんです;おひおからきました。Columbiaのだいがくのいちねんせいです。じゅはっさいです。どうぞよろしく!

I've been obsessed with Japanese culture for as long as I can remember, and I've always wanted to take a course in Japanese language. It's my dream to be able to play video games and watch anime in their original Japanese forms; to me, that seems like the coolest thing in the world. In truth, it's for these reasons above anything else that I chose to study Japanese. I'd love, some day, to work for Squaresoft in Japan as a video game writer/developer...but that's a pretty far fetched dream.
I'm both excited and nervous to move forward with this language. On one end, I truly feel like Japanese is over my head. Having never spoken a word of Japanese before I entered Columbia (I didn't even know what "Kon Nichiwa" meant), I feel behind many of the students who seem to have studied Japanese in the past. It's intimidating to be with people who already know Hiragana, who've lived in Japan, or who've taken Elementary B. Luckily, these people are many of the nicest (and most helpful!) people I've ever met. All this being said, I'm having fun with the language, and I'm determined to catch up fully to my other classmates. I'm also really enjoying memorizing Hiragana...as difficult as it is to recognize a new alphabet, it's a pretty great feeling to begin to understand.
What I'm finding difficult, more than anything else, is the extent of vocabulary memorization required for the class. Some of the words are easy to remember because they are used so often - Watashi, for instance. Others just seem random - Kohii or Densi for instance. I'm planning on taking a good amount of time this weekend to review old vocab and old lessons!
Thanks for reading my blog, and comment me!

3 comments:

Hamada said...

One of my classmates from the English school in my hometown is now working at Square-Enix. It is very possible that you will work there, too. A lot of people who can't speak Japanese are working at video game companies in Japan. If you improve your Japanese, that will be your advantage.

I look forward to seeing your name at the end of playing video games :) Final Fantasy 15, maybe?

Katy said...

Oh, Sam, perhaps we can both work in Japan someday? I have no doubt you'll be fine on the vocabulary; can you believe we're actually writing in hiragana after three weeks? I can't! Jamata ashita-- Katy

tatakimasu said...

Sam-san,

Square-Enix is great! You should definitely aspire to work there someday! I know I am at the moment... but I would have rather worked for Squaresoft because I feel like Enix is screwing everything up... Final Fantasy XIII on the 360? Come on... lol

Anyway, one of the reasons I am learning Japanese is so that I can study abroad there and then hopefully get a job programming for some cool gaming company. さむさんはコンピュタノエンジニアですか。I am, so if you are and you ever need some help with programming, be sure to let me know!